Re: Suggestion for improved identD

  • From: Troy Davis
  • Date: Tue May 19 22:42:42 1998

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Ehud Gavron wrote:

> Reasoning:	Modern ``stacks'' used by end-users -- especially
> 		those on throwaway accounts, fake any identD response.
> 		This makes tracking those people tougher.

Although it was designed to give the owner of a TCP connection, identd is
only commonly used for SMTP, IRC, and occasionally POP3.  The latter 2
protocols are irrelevant; the former is publicly accessable and the
latter requires a password.  So we're left with SMTP.

An example SMTP header:

[207.172.189.146]) by smtp2.erols.com (8.8.8/8.8.5) with SMTP id XAA19893
for <[email protected]>; Mon, 18 May 1998 23:34:27 -0400 (EDT)

In common implementations*, "evilspammer" will be the identd reply.  Since
it's easily forgable, simply disregard it and go by the IP address (and
hostname, if shown).

* = abnormal Received headers may be harder to interpret but if a site
hasn't upgraded their SMTPd in that long, they're not going to upgrade for
this.

> Methods:	1: identD v2, new port, intercepted by access devices
> 		   which support it.
> 		2: modification to hosts requirement RFCs, making
> 		   access devices responsible for intercepting identD
> 		   requests to their PPP clients.
> 		3: a security RFC ``suggesting'' 1 or 2

Assuming this change was meant to ease spam tracking, all current SMTP
daemons would have to be modified to use the new protocol and port.

Existing access devices would also need to be patched/upgraded or, if
that wasn't possible, the identd v2 request wouldn't be intercepted and
would still be answered by the client.  Then we're back to square one.

Since some hosts would have identd v2 disabled and there would be a large
number of users not running v2 daemons, replies would need to be optional
and no services could depend on them.  As such, nobody would bother.

At least on this ISP, there are a number of intensely private users who,
if they noticed, would probably complain.  They complained about the
NNTP-Posting-Host header in NNTP until it was removed.   I doubt the concerns
of oz.net users are particularly unique and since identd v2 would be
"suggested", many/most ISPs would disable it.

IMO, this would be a decent size headache with little benefit.  I'm sure
I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

> p.s. new beta traceroute at ftp.aces.com  cd pub/software/traceroute/beta

Thanks.

Cheers,