Re: renumbering and roaming

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Mon May 18 15:09:56 1998

On Mon, May 18, 1998 at 11:38:04AM -0700, Michael S. Fischer wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, Paul Man
> sfield writes:
>
> >On Sun, 17 May 1998, Michael Dillon turned on his computer and typed:
> >> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Michael K. Smith:
> >>
> >> IMHO every dialup customer from every ISP in the world should use
> >> 192.168.254.1 for their DNS address and this number should be hard coded
> >> as the default in all client software. Then this problem would go away.
> >
> >if all ISPs agreed to use these addresses... say
> >	- TWO resolvers, e.g. 192.168.254,1 and 192.168.253.1
> >	- two mail relays, e.g. 192.168.254.5 and 192.168.253.5
> >	- two news servers, e.g. ---254.9 and 253.9
> >	- two ntp time servers
> >	- etc etc
> >
> >[the addresses chosen for /30 netmasks, I think that in my Monday morning
> >brain-state I got it right?]
> >
> >And so on for "standard" services, then we could achieve global roaming SO
> >easily.
> >
> >The number of times we've had customers roam elsewhere and then try
> >and use ou r mail relays when for spam reasons relaying is denied...
>
> After several discussions, we came up with this solution that we think
> works well to support standard services for roaming users:
>
> Support a .local. root domain in your DNS servers.  Examples of DNS
> hostnames would be mail.local., ntp.local., news.local., etc.  When a
> roamer dials up he generally uses the DNS servers assigned by the NAS;
> these addresses would be authoritative on a provider-by-provider
> basis.  If all networks supported this schema all users could simply
> have these addresses coded into their client software and would
> connect to the proper machines as they differ on various networks.
>
> iPass is currently building an Internet-Draft specifying the details
> of this approach.  What do you think?
>
> --Michael

That doesn't work; too many of those things must be hard-coded numbers
(specifically, the DNS servers).

.LOCAL along with defined addresses, declared as "non-routable" (ie: local
only) *DOES* do the trick.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV