Re: ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Mon May 18 11:03:34 1998

> > agency).  Renumbering THEM would be a job out of the depths of Hades
> > itself; even broaching the subject would likely cost us the account.
>
> I see. So if you tell the customer that they need to renumber, then they
> tell you to stuff it and switch to a new provider who... tells them that
> they must renumber out of your soon-to-be-reassigned address space.
>
> I just don't see this as a realistic example of a situation in which a
> renumbering ISP is at a severe business disadvantage. In fact I can't
> remember ever seeing any such realistic example nor do I ever remember
> hearing of a case in which an ISP lost a significant amount of business
> because of renumbering.

The example above is realistic, and they go to the next provider saying "we
know we have to renumber this time, but we want space we won't have to ever
renumber again."  Guess what.... There are some larger providers out there
that can (and do) accomodate this type of customer.  As a result, smaller
providers are on the losing end of this.  It's real.

Owen