Re: Zone file access

  • From: Manar Hussain
  • Date: Mon May 18 00:44:43 1998

At 15:24 15/05/98 -0700, Ben Kirkpatrick wrote:
>   I believe this is why they cut off public access.  The NIC was
>flooded with requests for domains that had just been deleted.
>People were hoping to make a buck.  If you have a _legitimate_ need
>for zone file access, you will get it.  I certainly had no problem
>after the NIC figured out their internal policy for granting access.

Hmm:

(a) *If* this is considered undesirable - draw up a charter and say so to
avoid anyone from using it for these purposes (why should someone else be
allowed to do this because they claimed/had a "legitimate" reasons "as well").

(b) We don't intend to register for ourselves any domains that we don't
want to use, though I admit that we have considered having some form of
public interface to the info that may allow people to look through the list
of recently de-activated domains and then register them. But even if we
were interested in registering lots of recently de-activated domains -
what's the problem with this - they are available and moreover they are
domains that people have let the payments on drop. At least we'd be
intending to pay for these domain (I know someone with "legitimate" access
to the info who uses it to notice when domains eh never had any intention
of paying for drop out of DNS so that he can look to re-register it - I
should say that this is an induhvidual and that the "company" may have not
idea about this).

(c) At least part of our interest was purely statistical - we thought it
useful to have a stateful track of things so we could do stats on it (and
if it was useful make it publically available).

I'll re-phrase myself a little - there are several things I'd like to do
and I object to not being able to do any one of those when others are
perfectly at liberty to do so. I'm reasonably happy to be told that nobody
can do x,y or z as long as it's reasonably fairly imposed/upheld etc.

Manar