Re: ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

  • From: Michael Shields
  • Date: Sun May 17 17:28:04 1998

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael K. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Let's not forget to mention the 10,000 dialup customers who have to
> change their DNS numbers.  We have sent snail-mail and e-mail over and
> over again, yet only about 1/3 of that 10k have actually made the change
> away from the old numbers.  How many of those customers do you think
> we'll lose when we officially turn off the old ip's?

It's very ugly, but I put in two /32 routes internally for my old
resolver addresses in Net-99 space... this keeps them reachable from
the inside.  If they ever get reused, I just won't have connectivity
to those two hosts.

I think now that it is a mistake to ever give out resolver IPs from NP
space.  If you don't have your own space, use 1918 space.
--
Shields, CrossLink.