Re: ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

  • From: Michael K. Smith
  • Date: Sun May 17 13:29:51 1998

Michael Dillon said on 5/17/98 6:13 AM

>On Sat, 16 May 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
>> agency).  Renumbering THEM would be a job out of the depths of Hades
>> itself; even broaching the subject would likely cost us the account.
>
>I see. So if you tell the customer that they need to renumber, then they
>tell you to stuff it and switch to a new provider who... tells them that
>they must renumber out of your soon-to-be-reassigned address space.
>
>I just don't see this as a realistic example of a situation in which a
>renumbering ISP is at a severe business disadvantage. In fact I can't
>remember ever seeing any such realistic example nor do I ever remember
>hearing of a case in which an ISP lost a significant amount of business
>because of renumbering.

We have renumbered out of two /20's and 2 /19's and, although we haven't
lost any dedicated customers, our time investment in the process has been
unreal.  In several instances we had to go onsite and do the renumbering
for them.  Of course, the first time you go onsite, the tech guy isn't
there, so that's half a day for two people lost.  Then, the next time you
go, he doesn't have the passwords to the server, so you have to come back
again...  And, because this is something we are requiring them to do, we
can't charge them for it.

Let's not forget to mention the 10,000 dialup customers who have to
change their DNS numbers.  We have sent snail-mail and e-mail over and
over again, yet only about 1/3 of that 10k have actually made the change
away from the old numbers.  How many of those customers do you think
we'll lose when we officially turn off the old ip's?

Mike

Michael K. Smith
Senior Network Administrator - Northwest Link
http://www.nwlink.com
[email protected]
1-800-390-1270 Extension 103