Re: ARIN allocating /20 netblocks?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Sat May 16 22:47:42 1998

On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 01:16:58AM -0000, Michael Shields wrote:
> > Ok, so I only lose 16 T1 customers instead of 1024.
>
> If you lose 16 T1 customers during a renumbering of a /20, either you
> don't know how to renumber, or they were already unhappy for some
> other reason.
>
> If you tell your customers "You need to renumber because evil forces
> are colluding against us," they won't be very amenable... try
> explaining that they'll get better connectivity.
>
> The social and technical problems of renumbering a /20 are nonzero but
> not large.
>
> I've done it.

Why should someone with significant installed base do it at all?

Explaining that they'll get "better connectivity" rings hollow.  Their
obvious question would then be "uh, what's wrong with our connectivity
now?" followed by a few more that you might not want to answer.

Yes, it can be done.  No, its not a reasonable request to make of a dedicated
line customer with significant infrastructure who you had, have, and want
to keep.

We have some customers right now which encompass multiple downline connected
parties over large geographic areas, and some of their equipment is incapable
of doing things like DHCP (one comes to mind that happens to be a state
agency).  Renumbering THEM would be a job out of the depths of Hades
itself; even broaching the subject would likely cost us the account.

Any significant ISP has customers like this; there is no reason to impose
these costs on you because you're smaller than someone else - no technical
reason that is.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV