Re: Laptop console

  • From: mparson
  • Date: Fri May 15 14:25:38 1998

In message <[email protected]>, you write:
> >(Of course neither of these is a substitute for doing the telnet from
> >your trusted laptop)
>
> Speaking of, does anyone have a recommendation for a simple VT100 capable
> laptop?  I currently use this PowerBook 5500 which takes forever to boot
> and currently has a bad battery that goes to sleep all the time.  99% of
> the time I'm using it, I'm using it in Z-Term.  I wish there was a laptop
> with a nice keyboard that did just serial terminal access.

I use an HP4000C that I bought refirbished off surplusdirect for $800, runs
DOS and Telix, makes a great terminal.

Specs:

o 486DX4-100
o 8 meg (expandable to 32)
o 540 meg HD (~480 usable, the rest is for the 'hard sleep' partition, where
               it writes mem to disk before the battery dies).
o 640x480 color LCD, I don't remember the type of LCD (dual scan, etc) but
               it is perfectly usable in 'text' mode.

--
Michael Parson
Systems Administrator