Re: 1.1.1.0/24

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Thu May 14 20:11:58 1998

On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 05:26:10PM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
> >One item that is currently before the ARIN Advisory Council is a
> >suggestion that we publish a map of all currently allocated IP space and
> >keep that map up to date. If we do this then I think it solves this
> >problem if people keep verifying their filters against the map or if they
> >generate their filters based on the map.
>
> You mean like
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/ipv4-address-space

No, actually, he doesn't (probably) mean exactly that... the concept is
good, but tghe granularity too coarse.  Excellent resource for
historical research, though; thanks for the pointer.  (And why,
exactly, does DISA need _6_ Class A's?  :-)

> One which may be usefull is registering the 'unassigned' IANA blocks
> in the IRR with a special AS number (e.g. AS0 or AS65535) so people can
> use the RtConfig tools to create filters by exception (e.g. NOT AS0)
> But there is already so much junk like 0.0.0.0/1 in there already, I
> hesitate doing it.

I'm not enough of a BGPgeek to know for sure, but that sounds like an
excellent idea to me, and 0 is the one I'd pick, I think.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com