Re: Possible login/password grabbing ploy

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Wed May 13 02:40:34 1998

On Mon, 11 May 1998, J.D. Falk wrote:

> > Sadly that will only return 256 entries. The Internic claims to have not
> > given out the entire DNS database since March. Anyone know otherwise, or
> > how to quickly get WHOIS to return more than 256 entries on a
> > WHOIS SERVER request?
>
> 	If you have a password you can get it (they give 'em out to
> 	people who ask.)

Only if they chose to believe you have a good enough reason for wanting
them.  I wanted them for what I thought was a totally legit purpose...we
were preparing to renumber, and as part of the task of renumbering, I
wanted to compile a list of all domains for which we're supposed to be
authorative.  I was told "that's not good enough...send us the DNS server
info, we'll run the search and let you know how it turns out."  I did so,
and never heard back.

The renumbering is now done...and I never did get to compile a list of all
the domains we're lame for.

 Jon Lewis <[email protected]>  |  Not good enough for Internic :(   |
 Network Administrator       |                                  ||||\
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |