Re: Possible login/password grabbing ploy

  • From: Mark Borchers
  • Date: Tue May 12 13:33:46 1998

On 11 May 98 at 20:16, Ryan Jeffs wrote:

> There has been at least one other company that I know of in the past
> couple of years that has done this, although the name slips my mind. Their
> purpose was to hit poorly spelling surfers with ad's when they typed
> "ayhoo.com" or "entcom.com" etc... accidently in their browser. Legitimate
> use of the domains, no matter how stupid :)

An illegitmate use of these types of domain is easily proven in cases
such as one I dealt with a year or so ago.  In a domain that was one
character off from one that my company owned, DNS revealed that there
was a record for every server hostname that was on my network (and
they weren't all commonly-used hostnames, either).  If anyone can
think of some ethical and non-malicious reason to do this, I would be
interested in hearing it.

Mark Borchers
InfiNet