Re: Core router bakeoff?

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Tue May 12 10:51:02 1998

On Mon, 11 May 1998 12:13:27 +0200
 GUESDON Herve CNET/DSE/ISS <[email protected]> wrote:

> I use both CISCO GRF400 and GateD. I think that GateD is the best
> easy to use and develop public routing software. But even if the GRF400
> runs GateD, it's not as reliable as a CISCO 7500 per example.
> The GRF400 has to much bugs to be an operational backbone router.
> For example when you redistribute static routes via BGP, the GRF
> redistributes the adress IP of the non telecommunication port to.

This is rubbish and sounds like you haven't RTFMed. I redistribute
static routes throughout with the GRF and it works fine.

> The Ascend technical center is not helpful nor the documentation.
> And the performance are limited to an average of 50k pps per card.

I agree that the TAC is as good as useless the manuals of the GRF are
toilet paper, fortuently I've used BSD/OS and gated for a while so I
know my way around.

I've seen a GRF tested to more than 50000 pps so I'd like to hear how
you came to that conclusion.

> But with the time i think that the GRF could be a good alternative
> towards CISCO.

Its already is a good alternative.

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.
[email protected]    NetBSD-1.3 released! ftp://ftp.uk.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD