Re: Possible login/password grabbing ploy

  • From: Amit Gupta
  • Date: Mon May 11 15:45:56 1998

 Or maybe these are also the "adult site operators"?

 At a conference I tried accessing ESPN web site :) by typing in the URL -
typed sportszone.espnet.com by mistake (instead of espnet.sportszone.com) -
and was surprised by the "Click if you are over 18" message... have heard
from others that several other mis-spellings also lead to similar sites.

 Any trademark protection ("webmarks?") available to the folks who run
these popular sites?

 -amit

 :> I have found that most of the common mis-spellings of our domain name
 :> have been registered with the Internic by a company named Americaoffline.

 :Yup.  They've been busy registering dropped-letter variants of many
 :folks.  All the zones I've looked at are merely wildcard A records, not
 :purposeful hosts.  I was sorely disappointed that
 :http://www.americaoffline.com/ contains no references to malicous nor
 :humourous stuff.  Personally, I was hoping for large-scale lampooning.

 :Nothing at the real provider's home base, INSTANET.COM, reveals anything
 :of interest.  Some kook thinking he can auction off typo domains?