Re: Core router bakeoff?

  • From: Perry E. Metzger
  • Date: Fri May 08 18:46:35 1998

Robert Sanders writes:
> >BTW, we are managing to get NetBSD to handle multiple ethernets at
> >wire speed now that NetBSD-current has (still experimental) flow cache
> >code in it.
>
> [perhaps erroneously supposing that the promise of new longevity for Unix
> on commodity hardware as an edge packet forwarding engine is relevant to
> NANOG...]
>
> I heard on the FreeBSD lists that NASA is sponsoring this work.

Nope. Matt Thomas is doing that on his own time. NASA *has* sponsored
some NetBSD based work on storage systems -- their Numerical
Simulation Facility apparently needs filestores much bigger than any
commercial vendor can manage, and they've been using BSD boxes for
them.

This is really far afield of nanog, though.

Perry