Re: Core router bakeoff?

  • From: Robert Sanders
  • Date: Fri May 08 13:54:54 1998

>BTW, we are managing to get NetBSD to handle multiple ethernets at
>wire speed now that NetBSD-current has (still experimental) flow cache
>code in it.

[perhaps erroneously supposing that the promise of new longevity for Unix
on commodity hardware as an edge packet forwarding engine is relevant to
NANOG...]

I heard on the FreeBSD lists that NASA is sponsoring this work.  Does
anybody know the desired end product?  The release notes I saw seemed
biased towards host stack improvements, with the flow cache a notable
exception.  I'd kill for a decent low-cost , high-density 10/100 ethernet
traffic shaping device with functionality similar to Cisco's CAR or, dare
to dream, a Packeteer.

regards,
  -- Robert