Re: Core router bakeoff?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Fri May 08 07:33:03 1998

On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 10:39:00PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> In general, I don't buy branded PCs. I tend to go to places where I
> get to spec the motherboard, drives, power supply, case, etc. There
> are a bunch of vendors that will let you work this way. Typically you
> end up having to form a relationship with a particular guy at your
> vendor who you know will get you what you want. Paul Vixie turned me
> on to Billy Bath (who now works at Tesys) but there are lots of
> others. I've done some work with a place in NYC operated by an
> immigrant family, where I literally walk in and point and the parts in
> the glass cases of their tiny and crowded shop. "I want THAT
> motherboard, THAT case, THAT powersupply... I'll need two machines, by
> tomorrow afternoon."
>
> Typically these places/guys are very cheap, but since I'm spec'ing
> every last bit of the thing I get pretty good control, since I end up
> knowing every detail of what I'm in for in advance. I don't believe in
> buying no-name stuff where I don't know what's in it, but its so easy
> to spec the whole thing these days that you *do* end up knowing what's
> in it.
>
> Perry

I've been working with a place called CompuElectronics in Lincolnwood now
for something like three years.

The folks there aren't the cheapest, but you don't get crap from them, and
they build to order.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV