Re: Core router bakeoff?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Thu May 07 23:05:00 1998

On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 09:30:34PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> "John A. Tamplin" writes:
> > On Thu, 7 May 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > > PCs are cheap and I know them well. I wasn't aware Cabletron even had
> > > a box with a BGP-4 implementation in it.
> >
> > PCs are also designed with a mindset that saving $.10 on a component saves
> > millions, encouraging overly cheap designs.  Considering the typical PC
> > customer has no problem with rebooting their machine several times a day,
> > that gives them plenty of room to cut corners without pissing off their
> > primary client base.
>
> That is an excellent theory. The problem is, once I get PCs running
> BSD up, they typically remain up for hundreds of days, generally until
> I have to reboot them -- crashes are extremely rare. They give me no
> more hardware trouble than Ciscos. It might just be that I'm buying
> better PCs than some, but I'm perfectly happy with the results.

The largest single source of failures in PCs is a failure in the power
supply fan.

In most PCs, that will cook the remainder of the box in short order.

The fix, of course, is to have more than one fan in the box (duh!), and to
buy power supplies that cost an extra $10 so they have higher-quality fans
in them.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV