Re: Core router bakeoff?

  • From: Arnaud Girsch
  • Date: Thu May 07 22:44:40 1998

> Rob M VanHooren writes:
> > Hi, just a quickie (respond via e-mail, I'll summarize to the list)...
> >
> > Need to build a core NSP backbone.
> >
> > Who's equipment do I want:
>
> Like this is a question?
>
> You don't want Bay and you certainly don't want 3Com. If your network
> is fairly slow (ethernets and T1s only) you can use PCs running a
> reasonable BSD and GateD. Otherwise, the only commercial choice is
> Cisco.

Just out of curiosity ...
Why not considering the 4th vendor, Cabletron, for this kind of equipment,
before using PCs.

They just released some announcement that major companies and campuses are
using their equipment for new backbones.

Just asking though :-)

Arnaud.

--
Arnaud C. Girsch      -+-       The OASys Group, Inc.
[email protected]  -+- Tel: 408-872-0203 Fax: 408-872-0210 - Saratoga, CA