Re: Core router bakeoff?

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Thu May 07 17:20:08 1998

On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 04:54:27PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Rob M VanHooren writes:
> > Hi, just a quickie (respond via e-mail, I'll summarize to the list)...
> >
> > Need to build a core NSP backbone.
> >
> > Who's equipment do I want:
>
> Like this is a question?
>
> You don't want Bay and you certainly don't want 3Com. If your network
> is fairly slow (ethernets and T1s only) you can use PCs running a
> reasonable BSD and GateD. Otherwise, the only commercial choice is
> Cisco.
>
> .pm

FreeBSD and decent networking cards (ie: Intel PRO100Bs) can route a couple
of 100Mbps switched fast ethernets (yes, full duplex too)

The Pentium Pro 200 is the processor of choice for this; the Pentium II,
at least until the new version announced at Spring Comdex with the full-speed
secondary cache and SLOT 2 ships, is slower than the Pentium Pro 200 in
this application.

This will hold you up to ~100 - 150Mbps in total throughput.  Beyond that
you're talking CISCO, at least in my experience.

If you're seriously doing this you need to get on-staff a REAL routing
engineer who has done this in the past and knows what the hell he or she
is doing.  They're rare and pricey, but you need one.

Contrary to popular belief, national networks are not simple to set up in a
way which will insure that they have maximum survivability and performance.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV