Re: BGP & CIDR blocks

  • From: Rob Skrobola
  • Date: Thu May 07 00:42:18 1998

Folks,
	A bit of sanity..Prefix based filtering != not caring about your
backbone. Quite the reverse. As far as trusting bgp goes, most times you
can, sometimes you can't. Prefix filtering is for the times you
can't. Everybody remembers that those times happen, right?

       I believe Randy is involved in an effort to standardize another
way of doing the same thing. While the registries get better and these
other efforts go forward, you do the job with what you have..

     If your AS is in an appropriate (your upstream providers) autnum,
and the route object for the prefix is in the <pick the registry of your
choice> things work without a phone call. When they don't work, our noc
does a good job of helping to figure out what the problem is and getting
it fixed.. That exception is the process Jon is in.

     Jon, sorry that you had difficulty with this prefix. However, many
many new prefixes get routed over ANS without anyone calling anyone.

		  RobS