Routing Policy and http://rs.arin.net/ip-allocation.html

  • From: Mike Tancsa
  • Date: Wed May 06 12:23:08 1998

For the first time we have had to deal with  Sprint's routing policy as
defined by http://www.sprint.net/filter.htm.  Here is the situation.

One of our dialup customers wants to access his website in the
206.116.31.0/24 network at another provider.  PSI is advertising it as a
/24.  According to Sprint's routing policy, they do not honour anything
longer than a /19 in 206.0.0.0/8 .

I am now in the position trying to explain to the very non-technical
customer, why he cant reach that site, which from his point of view just
seems like I am passing the buck...

Anyways, my question is, are their any other ISPs/NSPs that follow the same
guidelines.  UUNet seems to honor it just fine, as does MCI.  Is Sprint
more hardnosed than most ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  ([email protected])           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *