Re: SMURF AMPLIFIER BLOCK LIST -- VERY LARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • From: Daniele Orlandi
  • Date: Thu Apr 30 10:36:55 1998

I'm sorry for the intrusion, I'm not a "North American Network Operator", but
what I'm going to say could (I hope) be relevant to all the Internet community.

> 194.184.1.0
> 194.184.148.0
> 194.184.179.0
> 194.184.204.0
> 195.223.41.0

You'll probably have few luck trying to make even one of routers on these
netowks fixed. It's because these netblocks are allocated to Interbusiness, an
italian NSP who mainly sells connectivity to other ISPs and companies.

They refuse to give access to the routers installed on the customer's side, so,
EVERY network (mostly /24s) in their allocations could be a smurf amplifier if
enought hosts are connected.

Their allocations are:

194.184/16
195.223/16
195.31/16
195.103/16
195.120/16
212.210/16

One could argue that having access to all the routers on the customer's side
could enable them to put a "no ip directed-broadcast" on all their routers (all
ciscos) in a minute, but unfortunatelly interbusiness is well know to have all
role accounts @interbusiness.it redirected to /dev/null.

I'll try to do my best to contact them and make their routers fixed.

Regards.

--
 Daniele

"By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since
sliced bread."
(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)
 Daniele Orlandi - Utility Line Italia - http://www.orlandi.com
 Via Mezzera 29/A - 20030 - Seveso (MI) - Italy