Re: SMURF amplifier block list

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Wed Apr 22 10:43:50 1998

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Dean Anderson wrote:

> This isn't really so surprising, because 0 used to be the broadcast address
> before being changed to 255. (~1986 or so, I think, right around the time
> 4.3 BSD came out if I remember correctly.)  Many systems still respond to 0
> as a broadcast address.  Older Sun systems still default the broadcast
> address to 0.  It's an anachronism that could be dropped.

Not surprising, but also not mentioned on NANOG until now, at least not as
far as I remember.

> But it is interesting that the person would have thought to use it in a
> smurf attack...  If they know that much, they really should have known
> better than to smurf. I hope they throw the whole bookcase at them...

Hopefully, we will.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  [email protected]
Mosher's Law of Software Engineering:  Don't worry if it doesn't work
right.  If everything did, you'd be out of a job.