Re: SMURF amplifier block list

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sun Apr 19 20:52:07 1998

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 12:39:29PM -0500, Dan Boehlke wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Alex P. Rudnev wrote:
> > Why don't use the filter
> >  deny icmp any 0.0.0.255 255.255.255.0 echo-request
> > on the incoming lines? It just block 99.999% of this smurf amplifiers;
> > and I hardly think someone eve sence this restriction for the real PING
> > tests.
> What about people who didn't subnet their class B on the eight bit
> boundry, but made larger subnets instead?  What about the class B that
> doesn't appear to be subnetted at all?  What about supernetted class C
> networks?  A trailing .255 can be a valid host.

Yes, Dan, but any potential smurf-_amplifier_ who might need to do this
_knows_ this about _their own network_, and can adjust accordingly.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com