Re: SMURF amplifier block list

  • From: jlixfeld
  • Date: Fri Apr 17 15:57:47 1998

Anyone mind sharing that conversation?

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, James R. Cutler wrote:

:Jay,
:
:I now understand the confusion -- You are speaking of the
:dotted decimal representation of the 32 bit IP address without
:regard to masking.  I am speaking of the masked address which
:results in a (mask length) network number part and a
:(32 - mask length) host number.  This means you think of
:address components as octets (bytes) and I think of the
:effective network number and the effective host number, the
:sizes of which are determined only by the mask.
:
:Or another way to this is that the routers and hosts do not
:see the dotted notation except in the configuration dialogs.
:Internal to the routing processes the effective network
:number determines the routing between subnets and a broadcast
:address is any address where the host number is all ones.
:
:Another way to look at this is to say you are thinking about
:IP addressing in a "classful" manner whilst I am speaking in
:a "classless" manner. Believe me, the transition from classful
:to classless thinking in IP addressing is not an easy thing.
:None of the RFCs are simple to understand.
:
:So, I guess I'm not in trouble after all.
:
:Regards.
:
:	JimC