Re: ARIN Services

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Apr 17 11:44:15 1998

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 12:46:39AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
> > Now, I fully agree that the BEST solution to the problem is for it to be
> > available 24x7, as there are those of us which work from midnight-4 on a
> > regular basis.  (I myself have two waking schedules 9a - midnight or
> > noon-4a, depending on what needs to get done.)
>
> One would think the various registries might make a deal to host "mirror"
> sites for each other and then spread the word that if for instance,
> rs.arin.net isn't working, you should try rs2.arin.net (which might reside
> somewhere in Europe).  People in Europe, might naturally just use
> rs2.arin.net, knowing that its closer and faster for them.

Why even use a different name?  Round robin works fine, and if all the
registries participate in a cross-mirroring program, then all would be
well, no?  If you mirror correctly, it doesn't much matter _which_ host
you hit.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com