Re: [nanog] Re: SMURF amplifier block list

  • From: Sean M. Doran
  • Date: Sun Apr 12 20:53:06 1998

Uhm, all that is necessary is for Karl to tell people what he's
blocking on his network in such a way that anyone else wanting to
protect themselves in the same way can so configure their routers.

Ironically, this closely parallels the Satanic Phyltres, with
similar sets of plusses and minuses.

The idea of some permanent coordination is disconcerting in two
ways: firstly, it assumes that the problem is permanent (which I doubt),
and secondly, the idea of there being a central administration for
policing the network seems to to be incompatible with the theory
that the Internet is fundamentally ungovernable.  Essentially, if
"they" shouldn't bother to try, because it won't work, why should "we"
bother to try?

	Sean.