Re: oh, for goodness' sake.

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Wed Apr 08 20:14:42 1998

Well, my point, really, was that generating filter lists and *loading them*
while relying on things in the network which aren't reliable enough is
rather silly.

IF you're going to run an automated procedure with the *expectation* that
these operations (like a DNS lookup) won't fail, then you had better have
mil-grade reliability.

The *REAL* solution is <DON'T DO THAT>.  I find it insane that folks were
auto-generating filter lists off RIPE's information, using DNS lookups,
without enough error checking to handle the case where the domain doesn't
resolve!

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV