Re: Fwd: Quantum device brings end to the "World Wide Wait"

  • From: Chris Parker
  • Date: Wed Apr 01 12:58:13 1998

At 09:31 AM 4/1/98 -0500, Alex \"Mr. Worf\" Yuriev wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Apr 1998 [email protected] wrote:
>
>Happy fools day :)

Well actually, this is not all a hoax.  The method described in the message
is known as Quantum Teleportation.  It is being seriously researched and
has been demonstrated in controlled experiments.  The following links
will take you to sites that describe the theory better than I ever could.
I only study Quantum Physics for fun.  :)  It is a real effect, and while
the story is based in reality, the announcement that Lucent has succesfully
built a device that uses this method of communication is quite doubtful
though.  The following links are however, not hoaxes.  We have nothing to
fear, as this technology is still quite a ways from actual commercial use.

http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/

http://www.sciam.com/explorations/122297teleport/index.html

>Alex

-Chris
--
   \\\|||///  \  Chris Parker: Systems Administration and Development
   \ ~   ~ /   \   [email protected]   \   [email protected]
   | @   @ |    \    www.starnetusa.net      \    www.megapop.net
                  \ Without C we would have 'obol', 'basi', and 'pasal'