Re: Root name server

  • From: Perry E. Metzger
  • Date: Tue Mar 31 16:39:48 1998

"Dave Haywood" writes:
>   I need to setup an internal root name server in my private network.  I am
> using bind v8.1.1 (Solaris 2.5.1).  Does anyone have any pointers on how to
> achieve this?
>
>   For those of you not already asleep, the primary nameserver for the root
> domain and the organisation domain are the same server (I know this is a bad
> idea but that's just how it is).

What do you mean, "that is how it is"?

> The nameserver starts up OK (no errors) but when I query the
> nameserver (dig xxx) it returns zero responses.

You haven't explained the problem very well. What do you mean by an
"internal root"? Do you have a server serving "."? If so, are your
internal records immediately under "." or are they under a more
reasonable spot? Why are you doing this in the first place?

Perry