Re: consistency and cix

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Fri Mar 27 17:55:10 1998

> V peers with X at a number of points.  V and X announce the same routes
> to each other at all these points.
>
> V and X are also members of the CIX and are announcing routes to the CIX
> router.  X announces different routes to the CIX router than they
> announce directly to peer V because Y pays X to specifically announce
> Y's routes at the CIX.
>
> Should V be unhappy with X's inconsistent route announcements?  Should
> X's announcement via the CIX be consistent with their announcements at
> the other points V and X meet?
>
>   o yes, because the CIX is a peering point, though router-based (this
>     in itself may be worth a different discussion).
>
>   o no, because in realty V and X each are paying customers of the CIX,
>     and the CIX is merely announcing their customers' routes to each
>     other.

Please note the evidently subtle point that, in this last case, any peering
contract between V and X is not really applicable because this is not a
peering relationship.  I.e. surely any peering contract between V and X
would not place terms or conditions on each other's possible relationship
to, for example, MCI.

randy