Re: Internic hosage (fwd)

  • From: Karl Denninger
  • Date: Sat Mar 21 20:47:52 1998

On Sat, Mar 21, 1998 at 02:18:43PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> I think that this is a really important issue.  Thanks for bringing it
> up.
>
> > Who should have access to whois contact information and its misuse.
>
> I put my data in there for use by folk with net ops problems.  My
> understanding is this is the purpose for which whois data have always
> been given.
>
> randy

I don't see how you can possibly cut this off.

I hate the people who abuse this data too.  One way to cut it down is to
accept only direct matches (ie: no more "wildcarding").

This also makes the database search engine incredibly simple and fast, as
opposed to complicated and slow.

Finally, it probably solves 90% of the abuse issues.

Karl Denninger ([email protected])| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV