Re: Building a NOC

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Sat Mar 21 14:45:43 1998

At 14:51 -0500 3/16/98, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>I think I'd disagree with that.  Where would all you folks be if you never
>picked up a book?  You wouldn't be reading this list.  Seriously, while
>there's not an ORA "How to Build a NOC" book with some cute animal on the
>cover, there is some information out there worth reading.
>
>I'd suggest digging through some telco info (if you'd like to consider a
>CO a NOC).  Also, there should be plenty of people on this list that
>work in or have even designed decent sized NOCs.  You can also cheat and
>go browsing as a prospective customer at someplace like Exodus or any
>other colo facility that is well-managed and modern.  You can actually
>learn quite a bit by just looking around...

Excellent observation.  There was a text, _Engineering and Operations in
the Bell System_, that gave some good operational experience.  With
divestiture, I'm not sure who took it over.  I vaguely remember that
_Transmission Systems for Communications_ went to AT&T Bell Labs, and E&O
went to Bellcore.

I'd also consider looking through some of the military communications
manuals.  Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of a computer conversion and have
to recover some bookmark files, but you can search for Army Field Manuals
online -- they are at the TRADOC site at Ft. Monroe.