Re: Internic hosage (fwd)

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Fri Mar 20 19:55:41 1998

> > However, the point has been completely missed here, Eric.  The point Dal
> > was making is that Perhaps.youwant.to FALSIFIED, LIED, FORGED, STOLE,
> > MISAPPROPRIATED, and otherwise BS'd about their WhoIs entry:

I think the world is missing something (*). ".to" is the TLD registered to
Tonga. They are doing a nice line in registering domain names thankyou.
Internic/NSI's whois server is not authorative for them. You thus get the
same result querying whois.internic.lnet as if you (say) query something
in the UK domain. That is it returns the record if and only if a host
entry has been registered. It happens that this domain has a host record
different from the DNS record, along with about ten trillion other
incorrect host records in the Internic database. This is easilly achieved
by modifying your zonefile after the host entry has been registered. If I
remember correctly there is a well known bug that no host entries are
fully checked anyway, but this is by the by.

So I don't quite know how this is an exploit.

(*) = or I am.

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)