RE: IP over SONET considered harmful?

  • From: Bill St. Arnaud
  • Date: Fri Mar 20 13:48:45 1998

Yes.

For the very reason you have identified of TTL decrement on hop to hop links
on IP over SONET we are in the process of building an optical Internet where
we will use WDM cut through (and maybe SONET label switching) to provide the
best performace possible.

With WDM cut through there are absolutely NO switch or router latencies.

For more information please see the CANARIE web site at

 http://www.canarie.ca

Bill

Bill St. Arnaud
Director Network Projects