Re: Questions: Long Range Dependence

  • From: Vern Paxson
  • Date: Mon Mar 16 01:48:16 1998

> 1. Single VBR video source traffic is considered as LRD traffic. What are
> the characteristics of multiplexing traffic of multiple sources, (e.g.,
> does the output traffic of an ATM multiplexer have the property of LRD?).

Yes - multiplexed LRD is likewise LRD.

> 2. Since Internet traffic (i.e., LAN/WAN) is partly considered as LRD
> traffic, what impact does it have  on design of Bridge/Router?

You need a whole lot of buffer to absorb bursts.

> 3. Where can I find Video traffic database (e.g., film compressed by
> Mpeg-2)?

I know these exist, but unfortunately can't point you at any.

> 4. Are there any mail groups discussing LRD and/or ATM?

I don't know of any for LRD.  ATM is discussed in the newsgroup
comp.dcom.cell-relay.

To get more detailed answers, you should dig through the past five
years of SIGCOMM proceedings, and also the past three or so years
of IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, both of which have had a
number of LRD-related papers.

		Vern