Re: Someones being naughty again...

  • From: Blake Willis
  • Date: Sun Mar 15 12:07:03 1998

IMHO, the decision to use private IP space for hosts/routers/interfaces in
a network is really a matter of necessity or security.  I am familiar with
a few corporate networks with nationwide WANs (as well as a major ISP or
two) that use 10.0.0.0/8 and other private networks for all their backbone
equipment, simply because they lack the public address space to do
otherwise.  Others do it for the very reason that their equipment is
unreachable from the outside world.  Whatever the reason, as long as you
keep it within your own AS and don't announce or listen to it from
anywhere else, there is nothing wrong with setting a network up this way.
That was the whole point of 1918.  The RFC was published because large
chunks of public address space were being allocated to networks that
weren't connected to the internet (case in point:  one of our federal
customers has a /14, a /15, and a /16 in class B space, and has had them
for several years.  We just added them to the RA and started announcing
them last month.  There were several interesting reactions around here
when people noticed the RADIUS entry for his <modem> connection with those
netmasks!) Of course, if your company gets bought by another company that
also uses private space, you're going to have to invest in some shiny new
hardware that can do NAT between your two networks when it comes time to
merge.....

Blake Willis
Network Engineer, New Customers				[email protected]
CAIS Internet, a CGX Communications Company