Re: More smurf fun

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Tue Mar 10 08:00:13 1998

It's not bad idea to catch packets TO this broadcast address and bell the
alarm rings (HACKER HERE) in case if this packets appear.

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Dave Rand wrote:

> Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 11:09:54 PST
> From: Dave Rand <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: More smurf fun
>
> Here's the latest group of smurf-able networks.  Note some cool,
> high-connectivity networks are on here, like Bay Networks.
> At least one was still active on mae-west, if you can believe it.
>
> I've filed trouble tickets with each of the network's NSP's that are on
> here.  Operators, please check to see if a network you advertise is on this
> list.  If it is, please set no ip directed broadcast on the lan interfaces
> (or get your customers to do it, as appropriate).
>
> Some of the phone calls were interesting.  Many of the NOC staff did not
> know what a smurf attack was (so I explained it to them).  Many did not want
> to set no ip directed-broadcast because they didn't know what it would do.
> Most were helpful, however, called back in a timely fashion, and had
> their interfaces  configured quickly.
>
> 128.139.0.0
> 132.166.0.0
> 132.169.0.0
> 132.202.0.0
> 132.226.0.0
> 132.229.0.0
> 132.248.0.0
> 132.74.0.0
> 132.77.0.0
> 132.79.0.0
> 132.80.0.0
> 132.87.0.0
> 134.120.0.0
> 134.121.0.0
> 134.177.0.0
> 134.205.0.0
> 134.39.0.0
> 134.57.0.0
> 134.59.0.0
> 134.74.0.0
> 134.82.0.0
> 134.87.0.0
> 136.205.0.0
> 138.210.0.0
> 138.231.0.0
> 138.28.0.0
> 138.73.0.0
> 139.181.0.0
> 139.223.0.0
> 139.51.0.0
> 139.70.0.0
> 139.91.0.0
> 140.185.0.0
> 148.132.0.0
> 148.144.0.0
> 148.59.0.0
> 149.35.0.0
> 192.93.124.0
> 198.32.136.0
> 198.118.128.0
> 199.209.166.0
>
> --
> Dave Rand
> [email protected]
> http://www.bungi.com

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)