RE: BGP Confederation config problem...

  • From: Andy McConnell
  • Date: Mon Mar 09 12:10:28 1998

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Dave Van Allen wrote:

dave> >Avi Freedman suggested using a +1 metric when leaving each member-AS.
dave> (Thanks Avi!) But it doesn't seem to help - perhaps I didn't do it
dave> right.
dave>
dave> Did our friend Avi also suggest that you need to add:
dave>
dave> !
dave> bgp always-compare-med
dave> !
dave>
dave> ??
dave>
dave> Best regards,
dave>
dave> David Van Allen - FASTNET(tm) / You Tools Corporation

Yep.  And I have.  Doesn't seem to help.

--
Andy McConnell       アンディ マッコネル
Network Architect, NTT Multimedia Communications Laboratories

I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary,
too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.

	-- Thomas Jefferson, 1812

dave> [email protected] (888)321-FAST(3278) http://www.fast.net
dave> FASTNET - Business and Personal Internet Solutions
dave>
dave>
dave> -----Original Message-----
dave> From: Andy McConnell [mailto:[email protected]]
dave> Sent: Friday, March 06, 1998 1:02 PM
dave> To: [email protected]
dave> Subject: BGP Confederation config problem...
dave>
dave>
dave> I have a problem I cannot solve.  If anyone is running confederations
dave> like
dave> mine, I would appreciate some help :-)
dave>
dave> We have a 4-memberAS confederation, each with two IBGP peers.  The
dave> arrangement looks sort of like an octagon.  the "r" is AS3 is an
dave> internal
dave> hop, not a BGP peer.
dave>
dave>    _______     ______
dave>   |      R-----R---r |
dave>   |     / |   |    | |
dave>   |AS2 R  |   |AS3 R |
dave>    ----|--     ----|-
dave>        |           |
dave>    ____|__     ____|_
dave>   |AS4 R  |   |AS1 R |
dave>   |     \ |   |   /  |
dave>   |      R-------R   |
dave>    -------     ------
dave>
dave> The problem is this:  How do you get BGP to choose the shortest "AS
dave> PATH",
dave> since internal AS paths are ignored in selecting BGP routes?  Right now,
dave> to top router in AS4 will always choose a route through (2 3 1) instead
dave> of
dave> (1), because it prefers "external" routes (even external confederation
dave> routes) over internal routes.
dave>
dave> So, when given a choice, the router on the distant side of the AS will
dave> ALWAYS prefer the three-AS-hop path, because it is external.  Is there a
dave> way around this?!?
dave>
dave> Avi Freedman suggested using a +1 metric when leaving each member-AS.
dave> (Thanks Avi!) But it doesn't seem to help - perhaps I didn't do it
dave> right.
dave> In fact, it doesn't look like the metrics are adjusted more than 1.  for
dave> example, from AS2, the lower router sees every route outside of AS2 as
dave> having only metric 1!  The top router in AS3 does not add 1 to the
dave> metrics
dave> it readvertises to AS2.
dave>
dave> I've been stewing over this problem for some time... I believe there is
dave> some clue that I've missed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
dave>
dave> -Andy
dave>
dave>
dave> --
dave> Andy McConnell       fAf"fffB f}fbfRflf<
dave> Network Architect, NTT Multimedia Communications Laboratories
dave>
dave> Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
dave>