Re: Spam which is designed to crash POP and many mail readers...

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sat Feb 21 18:08:30 1998

On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 04:58:23PM -0500, Barry Shein wrote:
> [More proof that these "spammers" aren't selling anything, they're
> just garden-variety petit criminals trying to disrupt the internet...]
>
> Anyhow, has anyone else seen this recent spate of spam which is
> basically designed to crash POP and Netscape and other programs in the
> past few days?
>
> It's not you, they've found "from" addresses which cause problems, the
> usual first symptom is a bunch of people complaining about "stuck" POP
> locks or problems with Netscape, elm and other mail readers.

The stuff that fries me is the stuff that uses HTML inlines to crash
the mail readers of people who are dumb enough to use mail readers that
_interpret_ HTML in mail bodies automatically... which We All Know Mail
Readers Shouldn't Do.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com