Re: Smurfing

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Mon Feb 16 01:23:44 1998

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Steve Camas wrote:

> It seems to me that the only way to stop IP spoofing is to implement a
> small amount of regulation (ugly word, I know).  If MCI, Sprint, and all
> other larger players simply stated that one cannot connect to their
> network without a router audit of some kind, most of these problems would
> go away.  If I were Joe ISP and I was told that my carrier is allowed to,
> at any time, audit my router config, and shut me down if I didn't have the
> rules set right, I would be pretty sure to make sure I got things right.

Nice idea...but at least some of the bigger providers are already spread
so thin they can't monitor their own routers.  When are they going to find
the time to read router configs for their customers' routers?  They'd have
to hire more staff for this...and they'd have to actually pay more than
minimum wage.

 Jon Lewis <[email protected]>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |