Re: Smurfing

  • From: Steve Camas
  • Date: Mon Feb 16 00:47:23 1998

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 [email protected] wrote:

>    Anyone have any idea where most of the attacks originate:
>    dial-up ports or from folks more directly connected to the
>    net?  (I'd bet on a happy mix ;-)

A common theme seems to be cable modems -- I fear that some cable
companies have more money than brains and provide their users with huge
bandwidth and no IP spoof checking...

It seems to me that the only way to stop IP spoofing is to implement a
small amount of regulation (ugly word, I know).  If MCI, Sprint, and all
other larger players simply stated that one cannot connect to their
network without a router audit of some kind, most of these problems would
go away.  If I were Joe ISP and I was told that my carrier is allowed to,
at any time, audit my router config, and shut me down if I didn't have the
rules set right, I would be pretty sure to make sure I got things right.

Just a thought...