Re: Smurfing

  • From: Brian Wallingford
  • Date: Fri Feb 13 15:37:44 1998

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> It's all well and good that everyone knows backwards and forwards how to
> configure this sort of thing on a Cisco, but there are other vendors out
> there making routers too.  What is trivial in IOS may turn out to be a
> real bitch on other equipment.

>From http://www.quadrunner.com/~c-huegen/smurf.txt :

* Bay Networks:
  <snip>
A workaround is to set a false static ARP
  address in the router for the broadcast address of the LAN you wish to
  protect, or set a false static host route for the broadcast address.

Haven't played with any Bay routers since before this paper was
released, so I haven't tried it.  Sounds like a reasonable solution,
though.  Just a quick FYI.

Brian
--
--=Please direct technical support questions to [email protected] =--
Brian Wallingford			voice: 508.646.0030