Re: MTU of the Internet?

  • From: Mike Hedlund
  • Date: Mon Feb 09 17:05:43 1998

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Phil Howard wrote:

> Mike Hedlund writes:
>
> > To me it doesnt really matter, cause i cant remember the last time i
> > followed, or even took a second glace at an add banner. But telling somone
> > whos paying hundreds of thousands of dollars on add space, even at most
> > 10-20% more of the people who started downloading the image didnt view
> > it.. thats makes it a little more important. :)
>
> That's why most ads are at the top.

Almost 100% of adds i have seen are near the top of a page, but they are
almost _always_ below some kind of toolbar with crap from whatever site
your visiting. The point being, if the add isnt downloaded first, and
there are some other images of decent size.. there is a higher chance of
somone not viewing the add than if the add itself was downloaded as the
first image.

Since you cant download an image before you have all the .html that it
goes to, an interesting possibility would be to add a 'load-weight' or
something similar to the img src= attribute. So you could specify in what
order images were downloaded(assuming images are being displayed as
downloaded) without breaking the format of the .html page
in somones browser...

-mike