Re: FDDI or 100Mb Ethernet

  • From: Matthew Petach
  • Date: Sun Feb 08 17:18:21 1998

> Paul Ferguson <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Okay. Playing my usual devil's advocate role, please tell me what
> > migration path lies beyond FDDI for faster connectivity?
>
> SM FDDI -> SM POS.  Problem solved.  Reuse your fibre, even.

*cough*  Um, hate to have to raise an ugly bugaboo, but reusing
the fibre isn't the problem; it's redesigning the whole network
architecture from multidrop, ring based FDDI, to point-to-point
POS connections.

Or are you going to point out a cheap (~$100,000) SONET switch
that will work as a relatively "drop-in" replacement for already
installed DEC Gigaswitches?  If you know of one, let me know, and
I'll order a half dozen.  Otherwise, there really isn't any
multi-drop replacement for FDDI at this point.

> Your inventive marketing friend,
> 	Sean.

Inventive, definitely.  Practical, on the other hand...

Matt