Re: MTU of the Internet?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sun Feb 08 04:53:45 1998

On Sat, Feb 07, 1998 at 11:52:02PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Yet even with this, there is a perceived value to multiple
> connections.  Why is that?  There are several reasons:
>
> 	- that is how it has been done, so we better keep doing it
> 	- can grab more bandwidth on congested links by using more
> 	  flows.  In real life, this is a significant factor,
> 	  more so when you get to ISDN and higher speeds.  It would
> 	  probably be better for everyone if everyone stopped using
> 	  multiple connections, but if some do and some don't, those
> 	  that don't lose out.  This advantage could be eliminated
> 	  by various algorithms.
> 	- is not acceptable to have a bunch of small responses
> 	  stuck behind one huge response.
> 	- if you are a proxy, this becomes even more critical.  If
> 	  you only use one connection to each origin server, if one
> 	  client requests a huge document from that server, anyone else
> 	  wanting to make requests to that server would have to wait
> 	  for the transfer to finish.

And yet, and yet... Marc overlooks the most important reason why
browsers make multiple connections: functionally, this gets the page
_usable_ by the user (which is, after all the _point_ of the whole
affair) more quickly.  Given the current design environment of web
pages, it is useful to have more than one image loading simultaneously,
because some of those images are controls, not just pretty pictures,
and if you can whip the small stuff up while the big stuff is still

Everyone remember: the whole point is making the net usable for the
users.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com