Re: MTU of the Internet?

  • From: Dan Foster
  • Date: Thu Feb 05 20:26:04 1998

Hot Diggety! On a dark and stormy night, Phil Howard was rumored to have said...
> I agree MTU needs to be flexible.  But in a protocol where MTU discovery
> is based on ICMP, and where filters are often implemented for ICMP without
> detailing, then I think DF is just as uncivilized as other bad behaviour.

It is? It would seem to me the problem here is idiots-for-network-admins,
not the protocol per se. Although, yes, it would be optimal if it could
work in an environment without regard to misconfigurations.

> And is its MTU discovery poorly designed like in IPv4 (which looks to me
> like it's an afterthought).  Of course MTU discovery is something that

Them be fighting words. :) Allow me to quickly educate/introduce a different
viewpoint where years ago the Internet landscape was *very* different (1989),
and the problems of the time basically was itty bitty pipes, and setting
IP options or other schemes that would have been 'nicer' design-wise just
ended up eating valuable, limited bandwidth.

Below is a post from one of the RFC 1191 authors, the chair of the IETF WG who
came up with PMTUD. He says it much better than I ever could regarding the
context in which they operated in.

Aside from that, no other comments.

-Dan Foster