Re: MTU of the Internet?

  • From: Perry E. Metzger
  • Date: Thu Feb 05 02:52:38 1998

Eric Osborne writes:
> The problem with anything Microsoft may put forth is that it'll read
> like "576 is good.  It is the best.  We do it.  So should everybody.
> If 576 is good, all else must be bad."  And that's simply not the
> case.

I must admit that I'm very worried about what will happen to the
internet if they do this. Why?

This will effectively triple the number of packets that routers have
to do processing on, that's why.

Frankly, the whole thing is stupid. I didn't say this earlier, but
Microsoft has about the most abominable stacks out there. Their boxes
STILL don't handle recieving fragmented packets correctly (a
requirement of the RFCs!) and they have a host of flaws. I wish they'd
get their act together.

Perry