RE: backbone routers' priority settings for ICMP & UDP

  • From: Mark Kayser
  • Date: Tue Feb 03 17:55:23 1998

This is not typically a policy that is carried out by the providers.  It is
just how some router vendors have developed their implementations.  They
don't give a lower priority to UDP or ICMP unless that traffic is destine
for the router itself.  Although some providers do chose to block
traceroutes, but that's a different story.

--Mark Kayser
MCI Network Operations