Re: [nanog] Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Mon Jan 26 19:53:48 1998

On Sat, Jan 24, 1998 at 04:09:49PM -0000, John R. Levine wrote:
> >The only thing I can figure is that the morons in question are going to
> >quote, for legal purposes, "peak" or "burst" bandwidth, ...
>
> Well, sure.
>
> Let's have a show of hands: today, who gets 53Kbits/sec throughput on
> an X56 dialup?  Who gets 1.544Mbit/sec throughput on a T1?  Hmmn,
> looks pretty quiet out there.
>
> Everyone's overcommitted, nobody can provide full pipe bandwidth on the
> connections they're selling now.  This isn't news.

yes, but those people aren't usually selling a wide enough hose to make
it useful for resale or server operation, which the ADSL stuff _will_.
It's a different target audience, because of that, and I don't think
they get it.

> I suspect that the real market for xDSL will be as much telecommuting
> as web surfing, and so long as the telecommuters have a fast enough
> connection to the office which will probably not be very far away,
> that's all they care about.

_I_ think it will be "personal printing presses", as much as anything
else.  But I've been wrong before.  Course, I've been _right_ before,
too...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.org